Y's Men Community Service
Chair - Mike Boyle
THE Y’S MEN VOLUNTEER TO DO MANY COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES, EVEN DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. For instance, a group of Y’s Men go to Stew Leonard’s every Tuesday to pick up food and deliver it to the Gillespie Center and Project Return. Bravo guys!
We welcome any and all Y’s Men to join us in volunteering. We do not have a regular meeting time. Instead we help out at various organization that need us for a few hours. We announce new initiatives and projects at our weekly meetings and ask for volunteers at that time. Many Y’s Men also volunteer at individual non-profits on their own, such as at the Mercy Learning Center in Bridgeport. If you hear of any projects or organizations that might need our help from time to time, please let me know.
Some of our past activities include:
- Distributing information cards for Domestic Violence Awareness at the two Westport train stations
- Helping out at the Youth Obstacle Course for the Family YMCA at Camp Mahackeno
- Providing speakers on Veteran’s Day at Bedford Middle School
- Volunteering as elves at the Person-to-Person (P2P) Holiday Toy Store
- Helping out at the Westport Clean-Up Day in the Baldwin parking lot
- Providing cashiers, etc., for the Westport Library Book Sale
Our current weekly opportunities include:
- Doing 6 am Tuesday pick-ups @ Stew Leonard’s with delivery to the Gillespie Center & Project Return
- Being a crossing guard for our Y’s Men Thursday meetings
Again, please contact me if you’re interested in doing volunteer work. We’d love your help!