Hi, new prospective members ... contact either Chuck or Jorgen..... join us!!
See our calendar and check out our activity schedule below. We try to meet monthly and have EVENTS on WEDNESDAYS but many of us get meet together informally on a more frequent basis.
Steve Taranko Back Up
Welcome 2018 Ys Gardeners!!
APRIL 27, 2018 GARDEN CLUB SCHEDULE UPDATE
MARCH 21 Wed 11-12:00 SR CENTER Diana Ringelheim - Spring Preparation —. Jorgen Jensen
MARCH 28 Wed 1:00 GILBERTIES WESTPORT Tour of Greenhouses and TALK by
Joe Gloria — Jorgen Jensen
MAY WED 5/9 Bartlett Arboretum Stamford 11:00 Guided tours of extensive Flower and Vegetable Gardens - Jorgen and Skip
LATE MAY Wed afternoon Home Garden visit to Ys Member Bill Christiaanse Residence — Jorgen Jensen
LATE JUNE Wed Afternoon AREA location Prolific Peonies —Skip Shaeffer Not Done
JULY Wed 25 11:00 Community Gardens
SEPT WEEKEND Greenwich Spectacular Dahlia Show — Steve Taranko
Be alert to additions and other changes and/or request to be put on our Email list
Jorgen Jensen and Chuck Greenlee Co-Chairs
ALSO, WE ARE Continuing to LOOK FOR Ys members who might have homes or friends homes with interesting gardens or landscapes which we could visit. Let us know!
LAST YEARS EVENTS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
Garden Club Schedule – 2017 repeat 2017!!
- February: Diana Ringleheim, Senior Center – Jorgen Jensen
- August: Community Garden/Nick Mancini – Lou Rolla
- September: Greenwich Dahlia Show – Steve Taranko
Others without dates/TBD:
- Jorgen’s neighbor’s – Jorgen Jensen
- Diana Ringleheim HOME Jorgen JenseN
- Flower/rock garden in Westport – JP Montillier
Ideas and/or “on your own”:
- Botanical Garden
- Westport Garden Tour
Below are some photos of past events and comments for your garden ..
May 20 Mark Yurkiew's Garden and House Tour:
Garden tour with Mark Yukiew
April 15 Harry Audley Garden Planning and Techniques:
Other Items:- Deer Repellant - From March session at Sr Ctr w/Diana Ringelheim
Use a Deer Repellant as follows:
Wisk one egg. Mix with 4 times volume of water and add a drop of Detergent.
Filter through a fine mesh metal sieve. Does not keep well so throw it away when finished.
Spray on plants and bushes. Deters deer for 30 day.
Does not smell. May also deter other animals.
Stuff does not keep well so throw it away when finished.
Drastically prune top off large bushes to let the light down the center and encourage growth from within.
Normal pruning of the outside branches will encourage growth at the end and leave the bush hollow.
1) Pyrethrum - An effective organic pesticide. For most effectiveness try spraying at night using with a flashlight to hit nocturnal insects that are hidden in daylight. This wet warm summer has wreaked havoc on larger than normal scale with insects.
2) Fertilmulch aka Sweat Peat very effective mulch. Also avail in bags as Green Envy.
3) Incrediball Hydrangea recommended with thicker stem for easier pruning and gorgeous full flowers.
Not enthusiastic about BellaAnna. Also an Ever Blooming Hydrangea may have some problems with some mislabeling, etc.
4)OxiDate - A VERY effective Bactericide/Fungicide used in VARYING dosages for far ranging things from crops, to ponds, to patios. Google for more info!!
- Virginia Creeper - A problem around here. Pull it !
- Mustard Garlic - Get rid of mustard garlic, an invasive Asian import that spreads quickly. Don't compost it.